A Storyboard is a sequence of drawings representing the shots planned for a video production. The drawings show how the video will unfold, shot by shot, with notes about what’s going on in the scene and what’s being said or heard in the script during that shot. The purpose is to pre-visualize and communicate the intended live action, animation and motion graphic.
Traditionally, storyboards are drawn on physical paper. Today there are storyboarding software and apps to make this task easier.
- https://www.toonboom.com – Mac and PC
- http://www.powerproduction.com – Mac and PC
- http://www.storyboardthat.com – Free and online
- http://cinemek.com/storyboard – iPhone app
- https://www.celtx.com – All-in-one iPhone and Android
- Microsoft Powerpoint – come with Microsoft Office bundle
- Google Slides – free and online
For me, the best storyboard software is Microsoft PowerPoint and the next best is Google Slides.
Want to know how I use PowerPoint and Slides to create storyboards? Find out in the next lesson.