Which is the best video camera for shooting interviews?
Let me rephrase that.
Which latest camera would I buy to shoot interview videos in 2018?
3 Camera Choices
These are three options depending on what I really want.
1. Panasonic UX180
2. Canon XA35
3. Panasonic FZ2500
There are many more good cameras out there, but I know these 3 better and also people I know in the industry are using them.
Be wary of the many recommendations you find on the web.
Most of them tell you to use DSLRs or Mirrorless cameras.
I will stay away from them if shooting video is the priority.
Especially so if I want a video with good audio recording.
Let’s point out the pros and cons of each camera I chose.
The Panasonic UX180
1. It’s big. Clients will love the look of money well spent.
2. It shoots 4K. Though we may not need it for interviews.
3. It has professional audio recording features.
1. It’s big. Too clunky to carry around in the field.
2. Too many cluttered unused professional features.
4. Too expensive to buy 2 or 3 of the same model.
I must carry the Panasonic UX180 in front of paying clients.
Most clients still think bigger is better for their money.
I prefer to use this in a studio interview instead of outdoors.
The Canon XA35
1. It’s small, lightweight and easy to operate.
2. It is made for professional audio and video recording.
3. With the price tag, I can get one or two more.
1. Does not look big enough for some “misinformed” clients.
2. Does not shoot 4K, which could improve picture quality.
3. If only it could take photos too since it’s lightweight.
If I am not shooting for paying clients but for my own business, the Canon XA35 will be the camera.
I will get 3 of the same models to cover 3 angles during the interview. Wide shot, interviewer shot and interviewee shot.
I prefer the XA35 over other similar sized video cameras because of the manual controls for both video and audio.
The Panasonic FZ2500
1. It shoots great videos and great photos.
2. It has a large sensor for better low light image quality.
3. The price is super affordable for all its capabilities.
1. It has no professional audio recording features.
2. The battery cannot last a single one hour interview.
3. It does not have the ease of shooting videos like what the UX180 and XA35 does.
Contrary to what I mentioned, this is a Mirrorless camera.
This is the camera I am using right now and into 2018.
It is not perfect for recording interviews without some add-on gear and some editing.
However, it is so lightweight that I can carry it out all day long for outdoor interviews.
I can also take photos without bringing another camera.
The only frustration I have is it does not make shooting video easy, mainly because it is a photography camera first.
Yes, clients were suspicious when they saw me using this, but changed their minds after seeing the results.
Which is best for shooting interviews?
1. If you are shooting in front of paying clients and you want a full-featured professional video camera, then the Panasonic UX180 is a good choice.
2. If you are shooting interviews in-house for your own business, then you may not need all the complex professional buttons. The easy-to-use yet professional Canon XA35 may be for you.
3. If you work alone and prefer a not-too-expensive camera to perform both videography and photography, then the Panasonic FZ2500 may be the best choice.
That’s it. That’s only my personal opinion.
If you have used other cameras for interviews and liked it, please share your views.
For great interview audio quality recording, you will still need good external microphones like the Sennheiser G3 or the Bluetooth Sony AW4.
Another possible camera not mentioned in the list is the Panasonic GH5.
Feel free to ask a question or leave a comment.